Management of Personal Information
At Castle Hill Renault, we recognise the importance of your privacy and understand your concerns about the security of the personal information you provide to us. We comply with the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) as contained in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth). The APPs detail how personal information may be collected, used, disclosed, stored and destroyed, and how an individual may gain access to or make complaints about the personal information held about them.
2. Personal information we collect and hold
“Personal information” is information or an opinion about an identified individual, or about an individual who is reasonably identifiable.
“Sensitive Information”, a sub-set of personal information, is information or an opinion about an individual’s racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, political association membership, religious beliefs or affiliations, philosophical beliefs, professional or trade association membership, trade union membership, sexual orientation or practices or criminal record, and includes health information and genetic information.
In the course of doing business, we endeavour to collect business information only. However, the collection of personal information in some instances is necessary or unavoidable.
The kinds of personal information we collect from you or about you depend on the transaction you have entered into with us, the goods and services you or your organisation have contracted us to provide, and the goods and services you or your organisation are interested in.
If you are a current or prospective retail customer of Castle Hill Renault, the kinds of personal information that we commonly collect and hold from you or about you may include: your name, address, gender, date of birth, telephone numbers, fax number, email address, driver's license details, vehicle registration details, details of your current and previous vehicles, occupation and employment details, voice and image, location and anti-theft vehicle tracking technology in loan, courtesy and demonstrator vehicles, personal interests, financial information, and your banking, credit history and/or credit card details when you make a purchase.
If you are a prospective employee or contractor to Castle Hill Renault, the kinds of personal information that we commonly collect and hold from you or about you may include: your name, address, gender, date of birth, telephone numbers, voice and image, email address, education, qualifications and employment experience, background checks, and referee checks.
Generally, we do not collect sensitive or health information. However, your drivers’ licence details may disclose sensitive information to us, and we may collect sensitive information about you (eg, health information, background checks) if you are applying for a position with us. We may also collect sensitive information from you or about you where there is a legal requirement to do so, or where we are otherwise permitted by law. In all other situations, we will specifically seek your consent.
Our website also contains links to other websites of interest. Once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
3. How we collect and hold personal information
Generally, we collect personal information directly from you when you contact or deal with us, unless it is unreasonable or impracticable for us to do so. For example, we collect personal information from you or about you from:
- correspondence and enquiries that you submit to us;
- the contracts you sign with us;
- telephone calls and meetings with us; and
- your activity and engagement on our website and social media platforms, and through promotional events.
Importantly, we also collect personal information about you from third parties, including:
- affiliated third party service providers to you or our business (including financiers and insurers);
- online vehicle enquiry, sale and service platforms which you browse or engage with, such as CarSales and similar platforms;
- the other entities in the Motus Australia corporate group; and
- the finance business in the Motus Australia corporate group (ie, AMHA Finance / Liquid Capital).
You can be anonymous or use a pseudonym when dealing with us, unless:
- it is impracticable for us to deal with you on such basis.
4. How we use and disclose personal information
We use and disclose personal information from you or about you where it is reasonably necessary for us to carry out our business functions, activities and services.
For example, the reasons we use and disclose your personal information include:
- to enable us, affiliated companies or other entities in the Motus Australia corporate group, to properly respond to your interest in or request about purchasing a motor vehicle, parts, service or repair, finance or insurance;
- to provide you with information about our products or offers, marketing and promotions, and newsletter communications;
- to provide you with information about the finance business within the Motus Australia corporate group (ie, AMHA Finance / Liquid Capital) and its service offerings. For example, even if you do not purchase a vehicle from our dealership, AMHA Finance / Liquid Capital may be able to assist you with your financing needs for other purchases;
- to enable us to arrange for you things like vehicle registration, finance or insurance;
- to contact you in the event of a vehicle recall or program or any warranty matters;
- to maintain records for accounting, administrative, trade reference, fraud check and legal requirements;
- to respond to a query or feedback submitted by you;
- to provide your details to the vehicle manufacturer for warranty purposes, to administer our rewards and loyalty programs, and to conduct customer satisfaction, feedback and quality assurance surveys;
- to collate statistical data, and to conduct market research, social media analysis and website traffic analysis; and
- for other purposes related to your dealings with us.
Where we use your personal information for marketing and promotional purposes, you can opt out at any time by notifying us. Opt out procedures are also included in our marketing communications.
We may disclose your personal information to:
- affiliated third party service providers to you or our business;
- the other entities in the Motus Australia corporate group;
- the finance business in the Motus Australia corporate group (ie, AMHA Finance / Liquid Capital) to assist you with your ongoing financing needs; and
- government departments and enforcement bodies where required or permitted by law.
Where we wish to use or disclose your personal information for other purposes, we will obtain your consent.
If we do not use or disclose your personal information, or if you do not consent, then we may not be able to answer your enquiry, complete the transaction you have entered into, or provide the goods and services that you or your organisation have contracted us to provide.
5. How you may access and correct your personal information
We have procedures in place for dealing with and responding to requests for access to, and correction of, the personal information held about you.
You may request access to your personal information by contacting us on firstname.lastname@example.org
In most cases, we expect that we will be able to comply with your request. However, if we do not agree to provide you access or to correct the information as requested, we will give you written reasons why.
We will take reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information we use or disclose is accurate, complete and up to date, having regard to the purpose of the use or disclosure. We rely on the personal information we hold about you to efficiently provide our goods and services. For this reason, it is very important that the personal information we collect from you is accurate, complete and up-to-date. To assist us to keep our records up-to-date, please notify us on email@example.com of any changes to your personal information.
6. Destruction and De-identification
We protect your personal information in a number of ways, and take reasonable steps to ensure that it is protected from misuse, interference and loss, and from unauthorised access, modification and disclosure in accordance with our obligations under the Privacy Act and the APPs.
Your personal information is kept in secure locations, and access to it is restricted to those who have the appropriate authorization under our policies. Where we share the information with third parties, we ensure they also have appropriate policies and security in place.
We will retain your personal information whilst it is required for any of our business functions or purposes as outlined in this Policy, or other lawful purpose in accordance with the Privacy Act.
When the information is no longer required, it is de-identified, deleted, or securely destroyed. As an example, our destruction and de-identification methods may include:
- Paper records being placed in security bins and/or shredded; or
- Electronic records being deleted from all locations, to the best of our ability, or encrypted and/or placed beyond use.
7. Data Breaches
In Australia, if we suspect that a data breach has occurred, we will undertake an assessment into the circumstances of the suspected breach within 30 days after the suspected breach has occurred.
Where it is ascertained that a breach has actually occurred and where required by law, we will notify the Privacy Commissioner and affected individuals as soon as practicable after becoming aware that a data breach has occurred.
8. How you may make a privacy complaint
Our Privacy Officer can be contacted to discuss or attempt to resolve any complaints relating to the collection, storage and use of your personal information. For further information, please contact our Privacy Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org
We have procedures in place for dealing complaints and concerns about our practices in relation to the Privacy Act, the APPs and any alleged breach of this Policy.
We will respond to your complaint in accordance with the relevant provisions of the Privacy Act. Specifically, we will investigate your complaint and respond to you with our findings and our proposed action, within 30 days. In the event you are dissatisfied with the outcome of the complaint of the investigation, you may refer your complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.
9. Transfer of personal information overseas
Castle Hill Renault may disclose personal information to overseas recipients in order to provide their products and/ or services and for administrative or other management purposes.
Our business is affiliated with other businesses located overseas, such as vehicle manufacturers and original equipment manufacturers. In the course of doing business with you, we may disclose some of your personal information to overseas recipients. However, we will only do so where:
- it is necessary to complete the transaction you have entered into; and
- you have provided consent; or
- we believe on reasonable grounds that the overseas recipient is required to deal with your personal information by enforceable laws which are similar to the requirements under the APPs; or
- it is otherwise permitted by law.
While it is not practicable to list every country or region in which such recipients may be located, recipients of such disclosures are likely to include France, South Africa and United Kingdom.
10.Links to Other Sites
This site contains links to other Websites. We are not responsible for the Privacy Policies of other sites.
11. Contact Us
Our Contact details are:
Castle Hill Renault
Address: 17 Victoria Ave Castle Hill NSW 2154
Phone: 02 8853 3888